West and Central Africa
West and Central Africa represents just 7% of the total worldwide population, yet it is home to 13% of the global number of people living with HIV.
The HIV picture in West and Central Africa is complex. While the region represents just 7% of the total worldwide population, it is home to 13% of the global number of people living with HIV. And while prevalence among adults is relatively low, around 20% of all AIDS-related deaths occur in the region.
This is because just 68% of people living with HIV are aware of their status. The situation is exacerbated by broader humanitarian issues, such as conflict, poor human rights and widespread discrimination against marginalised groups, such as sex workers and men who have sex with men.
Our work in the region is, therefore, essential, helping to promote HIV prevention and treatment, as well as championing a stronger approach to human rights.
Did you know?
- There are 4.9 million people living with HIV in West and Central Africa.
- West and Central Africa accounts for one fifth of the total number of AIDS-related deaths in the world.
- Adolescent girls and young women (aged 15-24) are more than twice as likely to acquire HIV as their male counterparts (48,000 new infections in young women in 2019, compared with 21,000 in young men)
- Only a third (33%) of children living with HIV accessed treatment in 2019.
We work in
Will you help us end aids?
I would like to make a donation of:Please enter the amount you would like to donate, ie: '10.00'