In Kenya we are supporting marginalised populations to advocate for improved access to HIV prevention, care and treatment services.
The story of HIV and AIDS in Kenya is a generalised one, meaning that the epidemic affects people from all demographics. In fact, the latest data shows that 1.5 million people were living with HIV in Kenya in 2019.
However, new HIV infections tend to be highest among marginalised groups such as men who have sex with men (MSM), sex workers and people who use drugs.
Through the PITCH programme, Frontline AIDS partners in Kenya are developing the capacity of civil society organisations to advocate for improved access to HIV prevention, care and treatment services.
One such example is currently underway. The National Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission (NGLHRC) is advocating for change to laws that criminalise same-sex relationships. Their work continues despite a major setback in May 2019 when the country’s High Court upheld the current laws, which can lead to 14 years imprisonment for same-sex acts.
The Rapid Response Fund also works in Kenya, providing grants for organisations to respond to stigma, discrimination and threats of violence that limit access to HIV services for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people.
DID YOU KNOW?
- 74% of people living with HIV in Kenya are on antiretroviral treatment.
- 18.2% of men who have sex with men (MSM) are living with HIV.
- Access to pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) is increasing among men who have sex with men.
OUR impact in Kenya
- 127 LGBT people were reached through the work of the Rapid Response Fund.
- PITCH partners Ishtar, Trans Alliance, MAAYGO, and the KP Consortium conducted a successful advocacy campaign, which contributed toward the decision taken by PEPFAR in Kenya to increase its funding for HIV and STI programming for key populations.
Our programmes in Kenya
We do this because ICT allows for anonymity, which can be vital for stigmatised...
Our harm reduction programme exists because we support, rather than punish,...
Will you help us end aids?
I would like to make a donation of:Please enter the amount you would like to donate, ie: '10.00'