We’re on the frontline of HIV advocacy in Bolivia, helping to protect marginalised communities from discrimination and sharing vital protection information.
Although Bolivia’s rate of infection is relatively low, at just 0.3% of the population, it is the country’s marginalised communities that are disproportionately affected, such as men who have sex with men (MSM) and sex workers.
We work here to counter discrimination and help the people most at risk from HIV access the health services they need.
DID YOU KNOW?
- 25.4% of MSM are living with HIV
- 22.6% of transgender people are living with HIV.
- Only 44% people living with HIV are on anti-retroviral treatment.
Our work with IDH focuses on education, awareness, training and advocacy to help people take control of their own sexual health and better protect themselves from the risk of HIV.
Established in 1997, IDH provides healthcare and psychological services to people living with HIV and their families. The organisation also trains health workers, teachers and young people. Frontline AIDS supported IDH with the construction of the Sexual Health Centre, which is a central place for them to deliver services.
IDH has successfully lobbied the Bolivian government to ensure non-discrimination in healthcare and non-discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation and gender identity within the country’s constitution. In 2017, they set up, together with the Public Ombudsman, a Community Human Rights Observatory to monitor, report and prevent human rights violations against marginalised groups when accessing health services.
OUR Impact in bolivia
In 2018, IDH reached:
- More than 31,500 people with HIV prevention activities
- More than 1,200 health workers with activities to reduce the incidence of stigma and discrimination.
OUR IMPACT IN BOLIVIA
In 2017, IDH reached:
- More than 39,000 people with HIV prevention activities.
- More than 1,500 people with activities to reduce stigma and discrimination and human rights information targeted at key populations.
Will you help us end aids?
I would like to make a donation of:Please enter the amount you would like to donate, ie: '10.00'