We’re on the frontline of HIV support in Tanzania, helping the country’s younger population better protect themselves from the risk of HIV.
The focus of efforts to address Tanzania’s HIV epidemic crosses several marginalised communities, including people who use drugs and men who have sex with men (MSM). Following the election of the current President in 2015, marginalised population groups have been targeted and face an increasingly hostile environment to live in.
Of particular concern is the country’s younger population, since children under the age of 18 are not allowed to test for HIV without the consent of a parent or guardian. We’re working to break down the stigma surrounding HIV and help more young people access these important services.
DID YOU KNOW?
- 1.5 million people in Tanzania are living with HIV.
- 800,000 children have lost parents due to AIDS-related illness.
- 15.5% of people who inject drugs are living with HIV.
We worked with this umbrella organisation until July 2019, helping them to support other non-governmental and community-based organisations.
Established in the early 1990s, TACOSODE provides training, networking opportunities, policy analysis and advocacy, focusing on increasing access to HIV services for young people, women and girls, and those already living with HIV.
Since 2015, TACOSODE has started to influence the national discussion around harm reduction policy to better support people who use drugs.
We now work with other partners in Tanzania through our existing programmes.
OUR IMPACT IN TANZANIA
In 2017, through TACOSODE and our other in-country partners, we reached:
- 6,663 people with HIV prevention activities, including people who use drugs and young people.
- Almost 7,000 people with activities to reduce stigma and discrimination.
- 5,451 people with TB services via a TB-specific project targeted at the mining sector.
- Almost 800 people who use drugs with opioid substitution therapy.
Will you help us end aids?
I would like to make a donation of:Please enter the amount you would like to donate, ie: '10.00'